What To Do With Wet Drywall From a Flood

With Okanagan Lake finally starting to drop it’s level some homeowners are left with wet drywall.   While drywall is pretty sturdy, when it’s exposed to water it can get become soft and weak.   If only a few inches was effected by water you may be lucky enough to save most of it.

Check for moisture using a meter, an infrared moisture detection camera or tap holes to check for wetness.   It’s also critical to check studs and installation for moisture.  Leaving wood or installation wet can create the perfect environment for mold to grow.  Insulation loses its R-value when wet and is more of a potential liability than anything else in this condition.  You’ll need to cut about two inches above the water marks to make sure you have all damp drywall removed.

Even though this sounds like an easy task to handle their are hidden dangers like mold and asbestos in the drywall.  Your best option is to call Stutters DKI and let us dispatch a professional to evaluate the situation.   We’ll check for moisture using our infrared detection camera and examine all material for mold.   Improper removal of moldy drywall can cause spores to be spread throughout the entire home leading to more cleaning.  Another important factor to consider is if your home was built prior to 1990 an asbestos test must be done on the drywall before it is disturbed.   Asbestos fibers is something NOBODY wants floating around in their home.   You’ll want to be especially mindful of your home’s indoor air quality and Stutters DKI team will make sure ALL done correctly to protect your family.
%d bloggers like this: